If you wish to have your name changed or to change the name of your minor child/children, this is the place to start. We have provided an instruction sheet for your assistance for Change of Name Petitions. (Click here for instructions)
All forms that are linked below can be filled out by the applicant on-line. However, the applicant still needs to print out the form, sign it and then submit it to Plymouth County Probate and Family Court either by mail or in person.
Here you will find:
What to file:
- Filing fee of $165.00 (Payable to “Plymouth Probate Court”. Bank check or money order is required. No personal checks are accepted.) If a citation is required, you will be notified by the court to pay an additional $15.00 fee. If the name change involves the change of name of an adult (18 years of age or older), the citation is required and the fee is $180.00.
- Petition – (Click for form)
- Certified copy of Birth Certificate – you can get this from the city/town where you or the minor child was born.
- Affidavit Disclosing Care or Custody of a child, you MUST file this form if you are changing the name of a minor child.
- Certified copy of any prior name changes (marriage certificate, court decrees, judgment of divorce, etc.) These documents can be found in the Court where they were issued. They are not required if the divorce or other proceeding occurred in the Plymouth Probate and Family Court.
- Motion. If you have specific circumstances as set forth in the instructions, you might need to file Motions. (Click for Motion)
- Request for Record Information (CP-2) for anyone over the age of ten. (Click for form)
- Military Affidavit
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- MARRIED ADULTS must file a certified copy of their marriage certificate.
- DIVORCED ADULTS must file a certified copy of their marriage certificate and divorce judgment.
- MINOR CHILDREN should have the written assents of both parents. One or both parents may sign their assent on the Petition itself. You must provide the last known address of an absent parent. For children born out of wedlock, we will need a certified copy of an adjudication of paternity or a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity. Due to the involvement of children, you must also complete the Affidavit Disclosing Care or Custody Proceedings.
Where to file:
All papers above should be filed:
By mail to:
Plymouth County Probate and Family Court
ATTN: Change of Name
52 Obery Street, Suite 1130
Plymouth, MA 02360
In person at:
|Plymouth County Probate and Family Court
52 Obery Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
|or||Plymouth County Probate and Family Court
215 Main Street
Brockton, MA 02301
What to Expect after you file:
The court will notify you to pay a $15.00 fee for a citation, if it is required. Following receipt of said payment by bank check or money order, a citation for publication and/or mailing will be sent to you by the Court. You must arrange to have the citation published and/or mailed according to the instructions given in the Order of Notice on the citation. Mailing must be by postage-prepaid mail.
After publication and/or mailing, return the original citation with your signature, certifying that you mailed and published as ordered, to the Court. ALL CITATIONS FOR CHANGE OF NAME ARE PUBLISHED. If you have a good reason why it should not be published, you must file a motion to waive publication and an affidavit (a sworn statement) stating the facts as to why you do not wish to have this information published. You may have to go before the judge personally to explain your reasons.
The decree changing your name will not issue until sometime after the return date shown on the citation.
In some instances, the Court may schedule a Case Management Conference, at which a Pre-Trial date or trial date may be assigned.
A criminal record check will be done for all petitioners over the age of 10 years.
Certified copies of birth/marriage/divorce records are usually readily obtainable. If, however, yours is from another state or country and you want it returned to you, you must file a motion requesting its return.
PLEASE NOTE THAT A CHANGE OF NAME DECREE DOES NOT RESULT IN A CHANGE ON A BIRTH CERTIFICATE