If you wish to have your name changed or to change the name of your minor child/children, this is the place to start. We have provided an instruction sheet for your assistance for Change of Name Petitions. (Click here for instructions)

All forms that are linked below can be filled out by the applicant on-line. However, the applicant still needs to print out the form, sign it and then submit it to Plymouth County Probate and Family Court either by mail or in person.

Here you will find:

What to file     Where to File     What happens after you file

What to file:

  • Filing fee of $180.00 (Payable to “Plymouth Probate Court”. Bank check or money order is required. No personal checks are accepted.)
  • Please find all forms for Adult Change of Names here.
  • Please find all forms for Minor Child Change of Names here.


  • MARRIED ADULTS must file a certified copy of their marriage certificate.
  • DIVORCED ADULTS must file a certified copy of their marriage certificate and divorce judgment.
  • MINOR CHILDREN should have the notarized assents of both parents and all guardians. One or both parents may sign their assent on the Petition itself. You must provide the last known address of an absent parent. For children born out of wedlock, we will need a certified copy of an adjudication of paternity or a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity. If you do not have the notarized assent of both parents/guardians, you will be required to provide citation notice to parents and guardians. Due to the involvement of children, you must also complete the Affidavit Disclosing Care or Custody Proceedings.

Where to file:

All papers above should be filed:

By mail to:

Plymouth County Probate and Family Court

ATTN: Change of Name

52 Obery Street, Suite 1130

Plymouth, MA 02360

In person at:

Plymouth County Probate and Family Court

52 Obery Street

Plymouth, MA 02360

or Plymouth County Probate and Family Court

215 Main Street

Brockton, MA 02301

What to Expect after you file:

Following receipt of said payment by bank check or money order, a citation for publication and/or mailing will be sent to you by the Court. You must arrange to have the citation published and/or mailed according to the instructions given in the Order of Notice on the citation. Mailing must be by postage-prepaid mail.

After publication and/or mailing, return the original citation with your signature, certifying that you mailed and published as ordered, to the Court. ALL CITATIONS FOR CHANGE OF NAME ARE PUBLISHED. If you have a good reason why it should not be published, you must file a motion to waive publication and an affidavit (a sworn statement) stating the facts as to why you do not wish to have this information published. You may have to go before the judge personally to explain your reasons.

The decree changing your name will not issue until sometime after the return date shown on the citation.

In some instances, the Court may schedule a Case Management Conference, at which a Pre-Trial date or trial date may be assigned.

A criminal record check will be done for all petitioners over the age of 10 years.

Certified copies of birth/marriage/divorce records are usually readily obtainable. If, however, yours is from another state or country and you want it returned to you, you must file a motion requesting its return.